Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Case 02 - Final

Hey, sorry I'm a bit late on this update :)

This is the last post about the second case. As you probably know the objective was to animate the character from the first case and make a complete sprite with a running, idle and jumping animation/cycle.

I spent a lot of last week's evenings and nights with friends from class to complete the case. Even though it seemed quite simple and straightforward at the start, it was far from the truth.
Making a sprite takes some planning, and you have to know what to do to plan out and do things in the right order.

This is how I went about doing it:
  • I started out with my character in flash with all the parts on seperate layers.
  • Then by using the Bone Tool I started connecting them by building a skeleton on top of the character. This took some time because when I applied bones the Armature layer was place above the other layers.
  • After I had turned all the parts into movie clips and connected them with the Bone Tool I selected everything and made it into one movie clip. Now the character was done and ready to be animated.
  • Since I now had the character as an movie clip containing the parts and bones, I cleared the scene of everthing and deleted the layers with used to contain the bodyparts.
  • Now with a clean slate I started with the running animation, and after a couple of hours I had it done.
  • Now I created a new movie clip in the library and called it "Sprite", this was the contatainer for the animations. Then I opened the movie clip and dragged my running animation into the Sprite movie clip on the first keyframe.
  • To complete the sprite I did the same as above with the animations; I made a new keyframe inside my sprite and copyed the next animation into it. All in all my sprite contains four keyframs with four animations, one for running left, one for running right, one for jumping and a last one for the idle.
And that's how it's done kids :)
I'm pretty satisfied with the character but I've decided to change pretty much everything. New character new game idea etc.
The reason for this is that I made a pretty complicated character now, and I've learned how to make a sprite and animate. So I want to make something more simplified and stylish, concentrate more on the game as a whole.
So what am I going to make you may ask. Well, if you continue to follow my blog you'll find out ;)

And that's all for this case! Oh, by the way, a litte preview of the jump animation(it's cycled so it may look a little wierd).


Jumping cycle by ~Elr0hiR on deviantART

No comments:

Post a Comment